Ogden takes its name from the American Loyalist Isaac Ogden (1739-1824) of New Jersey, who lost everything he owned to the victorious American insurgents as a result of his continued loyalty to the British Crown. He fled the United States for England in 1783, and came to Canada in 1788 as judge of the Admiralty Court.
Showing a keen interest in the land bordering Lake Memphrémagog to the east and all the way to the Vermont border, he was granted in 1798 the southern half of the Stanstead Township which now bears his name. No less than 37 associates assisted him in the management of this territory. In 1808, he suddenly resigned from his position as magistrate and returned to England where he remained until his death.
- Extract from the Quebec Gazetteer
Don’t look for a specific dot on the map to represent Ogden: there aren’t any. Indeed, the Municipality of Ogden is not a town or a village, nor does it have any central point from which to radiate outward. It is, rather, a rural community consisting of a tangle of country roads where each crossroad harbours the remains of 19th century villages and hamlets: Cedarville, Graniteville, Griffin, Marlington, Tomifobia, Apple Grove, Gline’s Corner, Ruiter’s Corner, Ticehurst Corner and Comstock Mills.
Located at the crossroads of Cedarville and Marlington roads, Graniteville never counted many inhabitants. Rather, it takes its name and reputation from its quarries , including the largest granite quarry in Canada. Indeed, granite extracted from the Graniteville quarries graces such notable buildings as the Saint-Benoît-du-Lac abbey and the Sun Life building in Montreal. A United Church temple built in 1896 also graces this small community.
Formerly known as Smith’s Mills, the village of Tomifobia consisted, in olden days, of a nucleus of sawmills serving local lumber ventures. The advent of the railroad in 1860 transformed Tomifobia into a dynamic village where one could find a railroad station, an inn, a post office, two churches and a school. However, with the age of the automobile came the decline of many of the villages that had boomed along the railroad track. Nowadays, Tomifobia is but a small residential community set along the shores of the river from which it takes its name.
One of Ogden’s best kept secrets, Weir Park offers a public beach where swimming is permitted, as well as a small campground. The former federal wharf adjacent to the park provides a public access to Lake Memphrémagog.